Five Minute Friday: Remember

I’m joining the Gypsy Mama and her Five Minute Fridays. Rules are: for only five short, bold, beautiful minutes. Unscripted and unedited. We just write without worrying if it’s just right or not. Won’t you join us?

Remember a time when you were happy. Obscenely happy.

When was that? How long has it been since you been so happy that tears flow from your eyes and laughter escapes your mouth in such force that you cannot breathe? Do you remember?

It takes me a while. I don’t think I’ve been that happy for several months. I did take a vacation back in July where I found some laughter and genuine happiness, but before that? I can’t really say. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve not been unhappy per say, I just struggle to remember a time in the last year that I’ve been overjoyed. In fact, turning to my memories and remembering details from the past few years has actually been a source of sadness lately. I miss people who were once staples in my life. I miss my friends. I miss my Grandma. I miss my Papa. But, I remember the good times I shared with them. I remember thier smiles, their laughter, their words. And that tides me over until I can find my smile. my laughter. my happiness.

Thanks to Gypsy Mama for use of the button.

8 thoughts on “Five Minute Friday: Remember

1. Stacy says:

I can really relate. As I read your post and tried to think of a recent time where I was overjoyed, nothing popped out at me. And yet, like you so beautifully expressed, it is in the memories that we find the joy to hold on to. It it in the remembering that we have the strength to move forward UNTIL the next joy! I love this perspective.

Happy Weekend to you-
    ~Stacy

• Emily says:

Thanks, Stacy! I’m glad you liked it. It’s really been something that’s been on my mind lately. It probably didn’t help that today was one of those rainy, dreary days 🙂 Thanks again for stopping by!

2. Loni says:

I am sorry for the sadnesses but I KNOW God can turn our mourning into JOY! He promises! Keep seeking Him! He is pursuing you!

Remembering with you today . . .

• Emily says:

Thanks, Loni! I appreciate your encouragement. I’m doing my best to remember what needs to be remembered (i.e. Seek God first) and file away unnecessary memories. It’s often easier said than done though, I’m afraid 🙂

3. Kim says:

Thank goodness for family, both for those who are still here, but also for those who have passed before us, as their love endures.

It always amazes me how God guides, teaches and heals us, that in your darkness you reached out to a Compassion child, and then a second. What an incredible gift you offer.

I pray for you to find joy today as you find fresh perspective and hope as you visit friends and share their remembrances.

Love the name of your blog-I had to check out your about section to see where it came from.

4. Andrea says:

I completely understand … the search for a moment of utter joy; and not being able to find it. And then remembering the little smiles that pile up to bring joy!
    My niece just had my first great-niece for me … and there is this picture of that child, just 2 days old with such a smile of joy on her sleeping little face that simply brings me to a joyful place that I’ve found myself looking at it a lot!
    Beautiful post.
    Thank you for the reminder!
    Blessings,