Well, here it is, the first non-recipient specific quilt in my series of 26. This one I made without anyone in mind – and mainly because I had a ton of 6″ squares leftover from quilt #2.
Like quilt #2, this quilt is a variation of the disappearing nine patch pattern that I’m quickly becoming very fond of. Not only is it a super speedy pattern to cut and sew, it also lends itself to numerous interpretations. Looking at these photos, I can totally see making each set of matching color blocks into butterflies for a baby girl’s quilt or reversing the white and colored sections to make spinning pinwheels – so many options.
On the back, I used one of the awesome $2 vintage sheets I found in Hot Springs. The colors look much more faded in the photo than they are in real life.
I was actually very lucky with the colors; the sheet-back matches the oranges on the top almost perfectly, and considering I did not purchase one to go with the other, I’d consider that a miracle. (The last photo shows more true-to-life colors)
It took me forever to decide how to quilt it though – the pattern itself doesn’t have any obvious seam lines to follow (which is what I did for Quilt #1 and #2). So, I ended up just quilting a repeating spiral-like pattern in the white areas. It took way longer than I expected, but I’m very pleased with the outcome.
I’m still not sure what I’ll end up doing with this quilt. Probably gifting it – or maybe I’ll see if anyone in my area participates in project Linus.